Monday, August 04, 2008

Catch-Up!

Whoops!  I've been busy with the model horses and other stuff and not blogging, again!

I have remembered to draw something every once in a while!

Excelsior!

Excelsior arrived this week from Kim Ford Hoffman in Tennessee.  He's a Breyer Mini Whinny Stock horse who's been repainted as a Leopard Appaloosa with peacock spots (they have a slight halo around them).  This little gelding is only 1 inch tall and packed with details!!  I'm in love with him already!  Look at that face!  There are also loads of photos of him if you click on the journal page to go to my Flickr!  This sketch of him was done in pencil first (I wanted him to look like him!) and then inked and painted, except that I got impatient with my ink and smeared it erasing the pencil lines on his croup...silly mom!  He has a wee parade saddle Kim started and I'm to finish, so you may see bits of that here or on my other blog, Beneath The Mothertree

Bloch Fountain

Last week, we spent some of the cool weather playing outside.  One day, after viewing the ArtsKC exhibit, art/work, Creativity from the Cube (which includes the works of several of my husband's coworkers and bosses) inside Union Station, we went out in front, the kids wanted to play on the large bronze plaques commemorating the restoration of the building.  They are raised slightly on granite risers and at an angle that is fun to walk on and jump off of and not dangerously high.  They played nicely enough for me to capture lots of the scene in front of me, the Bloch fountain on Pershing, the Liberty Memorial and it's parkway, the trees lining Main Street, an office building (an Advertising agency, I believe), and the old Channel 5 tower, now used by KCTV, the public television station.George Washington's Steed

The day before that, we played in Washington Park, across from Crown Center and Union Station.  There is a statue of General Washington on his mount at Valley Forge, looking very regal and cold!  The horse is massive and very muscular, as a warhorse should be, and could be either Old Nelson or Blueskin, the two the General rode in the war.  Blueskin was the less favored of the two, however, as he wasn't as tolerant of cannonfire as Old Nelson.  Breed? 

Washington’s horses included Arabian, Andalusian, and Chincoteague ponies, but, since few formal breeds were established in colonial times, most were noted in records simply as “plow horse,” or “carriage horse.”

  -http://www.mountvernon.org

Chandeliers

A little less time to draw inside, two days before. because the kidlets decided they needed to do all the dangerous things they weren't supposed to do while I tried to draw the chandeliers in the main hall at Union Station.  Some days are just like that!

No comments: